Design systems allow you to create solutions that are scalable and can be seamlessly rolled out across multiple digital platforms and products. They provide brand consistency and accelerate growth.
What is a design system?
Design systems help your team connect every part of your product or service. They are a living library of reusable visual styles, principles, rules, constraints and components that are documented and released as code and design tools.
These systems encapsulate business, customer and regulatory requirements, as well as accessibility and UX best practices.
They also help bridge the gap between design and development allowing for faster releases, A/B testing and more.
Why should you embrace design systems?
Design systems allow you to grow and maintain a global ecosystem of digital products with brand consistency and provide a shared design and experience language that can be reused over time.
We work together with clients to create design systems that can accelerate speed to market while meeting regulatory and compliance needs.
Key benefits of using a design system include:
- Better user experiences: a consistent design and identity across all platforms helps to reduce friction and provides intuitive interaction.
- Speed and productivity: a design system approach creates efficiency and saves time and effort across the business. They accelerate speed to market, and highly structured pattern libraries reduce the production time spent on tasks.
- Scale: teams can reuse styles, components and patterns and will have access to clean code and assets that have already been approved by regulatory and compliance. It’s easier to scale designs across different products and territories in line with your growth needs.
- Alignment: ensure that different departments, countries, partners and stakeholders are aligned with a shared understanding of your visual identity.
- Performance and collaboration: they will help you achieve product goals and communicate cohesively across teams. Different groups can work together efficiently to deliver the experiences your customers want.
- Onboarding and alignment
- Business objectives and KPI’s: We work together to understand and align business goals and priorities.
- Review existing content: We take an inventory of existing content.
- Insight, research and analytics: We build insights using analytics and align with all stakeholders. We often conduct user research at this early stage.
- Guiding principles and visual exploration: Together we create a first set of guiding principles and the first visual representation of the design system that represents your brand.
- Design System rules and pattern library: We create a baseline pattern library. The project is managed as an iterative process where basic components are tested using real content. This process transforms designs into a working design system with rules, constraints and documentation that reflects guiding principles.
- Testing and pilot website implementation: We pilot the design system with a website and benchmark the systems’ capabilities to perform against KPIs. Quantitative data and qualitative data will also be collected to highlight opportunities for optimisation in future iterations.
- Online documentation: We create documentation that helps to accelerate the adoption of your design system.
- Compliance baked in: Compliance and regulatory processes can often block products going to launch quickly. By building design systems with compliance in mind, approval speed and rates will be improved.
We have taken the role of global design lead for large enterprise-level pharmaceutical and healthcare clients to create new design systems for multiple global products that need to launch across multiple brands, platforms, territories and channels.
We focus on creating mobile-first design systems, working closely with all stakeholders, including internal teams, other creative agencies and developers.
We help transform digital customer experiences by creating user-centred products and services that help your audience achieve their aims with minimal effort.